Goalkeeper Dimitar Evtimov Could Make Bulgaria Debut after Impressing for English Burton Albion
Burton Albion goalkeeper Dimitar Evtimov could be set for his senior international debut after being called into Bulgaria's squad for their upcoming Nations League fixtures.
Bulgaria are away to Cyprus on November 16 and then host Slovenia three days later, with Evtimov part of the senior squad for the first time.
It will mean the 25-year-old - who has made nine appearances since joining on an initial one-month dealin September - would not be available for Albion's League One game at home to Coventry City on November 17, although his current deal expires two days before that match, on November 15.
The call-up is one Evtimov did not anticipate.
"If someone had told me two months ago that I would be called up for the national team, I would probably say it was like a joke," he said.
"But I have been playing regular football and this shows that I must have been doing all right.
"But he didn't say anything about whether they would call me up or not, and I only found out this morning when it was announced by the Bulgarian FA.
"I am very grateful to have had this opportunity to come and play for Burton, as two months ago I was a free agent after leaving Nottingham Forest and the door was wide open.
"Then Burton came for me and gave me this opportunity.
"I have played for Bulgaria at every level but the senior team and it's a special moment for me and one I won't forget."
Evtimov's most recent outing for the Brewers saw him help them past former side Forest in the Carabao Cup last-16, but he has been replaced by Chelsea loanee Bradley Collins for their last two League fixtures.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Dropped Out from the Top 30 for the First Time since August 2016
- » 296 Boxers From 39 Countries Participated in a Boxing Tournament in Bulgaria
- » One of the Richest Bulgarians Vasil Bozhkov Takes over the Management of Levski Football Club
- » UEFA Decided When Bulgaria must have at least One Stadium with VAR
- » Official: Lubo Penev is the New Coach of CSKA Sofia Taking over from El Maestro
- » Jess Messina Off to Bulgaria