Bulgaria Seizes 1.75 Million illegal Cigarettes at Border with Romania
SOFIA, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- Bulgarian authorities at Silistra checkpoint near the border with Romania have captured 1.75 million undeclared cigarettes, officials said here on Friday.
The cigarettes were found on Thursday evening in a Romania-registered truck when it attempted to leave Bulgaria, the Ministry of Interior and the National Customs Agency (NCA) said in a joint statement.
The vehicle, driven by 32-year-old Bulgarian citizen, was declared to be carrying cloth, the statement said.
The driver and his 34-year-old companion were arrested, the statement said.
Due to its location, Bulgaria is a favorite destination for traffickers, with 37.1 million illegal cigarettes seized by the NCA in 2017.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Plovdiv: A 16 Year Old Boy Was Kidnapped. The Kidnappers Were Found
- » A Turkish Citizen Tried to Smuggle 2460 Tablets Viagra Through Bulgaria
- » Police Chase in Druzhba District - 4 Men Detained
- » Citizen of Northern Macedonia Crossed the Bulgarian Border Illegaly and Damaged 2 Police Cars
- » Two Bulgarians were Detained with 40kg of Heroin in Georgia
- » 1048 Pre-Trial Proceedings for Non-Compliance with Covid-19 Emergency Measures