Tornado Injured 17 People in the State of Iowa
CBC - A flurry of tornadoes that formed unexpectedly swept through central Iowa Thursday, injuring at least 17 people, flattening buildings in three cities and forcing the evacuation of a hospital.
Residents — and even weather forecasters — were taken by surprise Thursday as the tornadoes hit Marshalltown, Pella and Bondurant. Ten people were injured in Marshalltown and seven at a factory near Pella, but no deaths were reported.
Alex Krull, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Des Moines, said forecasting models produced Thursday morning showed only a slight chance of strong thunderstorms later in the day.
"This morning, it didn't look like tornadic supercells were possible," Krull said. "If anything, we were expecting we could get some large hail, if strong storms developed."
- » More Sun in West Bulgaria, Rain in some Eastern Areas
- » The Bulgarian Environment Ministry will Publish Programme for Improving Air Quality
- » Broken Clouds over most of the Country, Light Rain in East Bulgaria
- » Light Rain can be Expected in East Bulgaria in the Afternoon, Highs between 20° and 25°C
- » Water Levels are Critically Low Along the Danube, Ships Run Aground
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Temperatures up to 20-25°C