BNR: Bulgaria Hands over Presidency of Council of EU to Austria
Bulgarian National Radio - Today is the last day of the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the European Union. The start of the next term, headed by the Republic of Austria, will be given in Schladming, a well-known winter resort in the area of Steiermark, where Austria will send a strong pro-European signal under the motto "Servus Europa". This is not only a typical Austrian welcome greeting, but also a call for dialogue aiming at motivating EU citizens to participate in building a strong and protective Europe.
Visitors to Schladming and the nearby Planai Mountain will take part in an all-day program, starting with a picnic offering regional specialties and beverages. 28 cabins of the gondola lift will be decorated with the flags of the EU Member States; one will be in the colors of the Bulgarian and the Austrian flag and another one will be decorated with colors of the EU flag. During a panoramic hike, guests will be able to get acquainted with interesting facts about the European Union. Shortly before noon, a "summit meeting" will take place and Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov will symbolically hand over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union to his Austrian counterpart, Federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz.
A big concert entitled "Europa LIVE" will take place in the evening at the Schladming stadium. Many Austrian artists are invited to perform local and international hits along with hundreds of non-professional musicians, singers and choirs who will make the audience sing, dance and have fun together with them. About 7,000 guests are expected to participate in the EU family picnic and 20,000 visitors will take part in the town's initiatives.
English: Alexander Markov
- » Bulgarian Women are Last in Europe in Terms of Participation and Skills in the Digital Sector
- » The EP Will Vote on a Resolution on the Accession of Bulgaria and Romania to Schengen
- » MEP: It Would be Wise to End Clock Change in 2020
- » BNB Governor: The Adoption of the Euro will not Generate Unhealthy Inflationary Impulses in Bulgaria
- » 113 Bulgarian Municipalities will Receive Vouchers for Free Internet from the EU
- » Eurostat: Sofia Airport is on the 63nd Position Among the 150 Airports in the EU