More and more Bulgarians Travel Abroad, Greece Remains the Preferred Destination
The Bulgarian National Statistical Institute published its latest survey during the week, according to which Bulgarians are traveling abroad more and more. According to NSI data, trips of Bulgarians abroad increased by 12% compared to the same period in 2017.
It turns out that nearly 730,000 of our compatriots have chosen to travel outside of Bulgaria in the last month, with 34% crossing the border for vacation. New destinations like Italy, Belgium, Serbia and Spain have emerged as a trend in recent years on the tourist map. The increase of the number of foreign travelers was reported by the NSI already in April - 10% more than last year.
Despite the new holiday spots, Greece remains the favorite destination. Just in May 184,000 Bulgarians chose the Greek sun for their first summer vacation. From this year in Greece there is a new tourist tax, which is paid on site.
Greek hoteliers are convinced that storms and recent floods will not affect the tourist season. The natural disaster, however, has led to the cancellation of a small part of recent reservations.
- » Turkey is in the Top 10 in the Inbound Tourism Markets for Bulgaria
- » Up to BGN 4.7 Million is the Income from Overnight Stays in Plovdiv
- » The Sun: Bulgaria is the Cheapest Place for a Family Holiday – AND it Costs Less than in 2017
- » Euronews: Bulgaria, an Emerging Tourist Destination
- » Bulgaria's Revenue from Tourist Overnights Rises 27.2% y/y
- » Increasing Number of Chinese Tourists will Come to Varna