More and more Bulgarians Travel Abroad, Greece Remains the Preferred Destination
The Bulgarian National Statistical Institute published its latest survey during the week, according to which Bulgarians are traveling abroad more and more. According to NSI data, trips of Bulgarians abroad increased by 12% compared to the same period in 2017.
It turns out that nearly 730,000 of our compatriots have chosen to travel outside of Bulgaria in the last month, with 34% crossing the border for vacation. New destinations like Italy, Belgium, Serbia and Spain have emerged as a trend in recent years on the tourist map. The increase of the number of foreign travelers was reported by the NSI already in April - 10% more than last year.
Despite the new holiday spots, Greece remains the favorite destination. Just in May 184,000 Bulgarians chose the Greek sun for their first summer vacation. From this year in Greece there is a new tourist tax, which is paid on site.
Greek hoteliers are convinced that storms and recent floods will not affect the tourist season. The natural disaster, however, has led to the cancellation of a small part of recent reservations.
- » Tourism Minister: The Summer for Bulgarian Tourism will Be Challenging
- » Sofia Airport Grows Passenger Traffic with 5.2% this February
- » Bulgaria’s Black Sea Hotels and Restaurants Seek to Hire Seasonal Workers
- » Foreign Tourists in Varna During the Winter - Mainly Romanians, Israelis, Germans and Turks
- » About 70 000 Bulgarians Chose Holiday Cruises for their Vacation
- » China's Jiangxi Province Promotes Culture, Tourism in Bulgaria