Visa Policy: Council Agrees Negotiating Mandate on the Amendment of the Visa Code
On 19 June 2018, EU ambassadors endorsed, on behalf of the Council, a mandate for negotiations on a proposal amending the visa code. On the basis of this mandate, the Council Presidency will start negotiations with the European Parliament once the latter has adopted its position.
"An efficient management of migration includes ensuring we are able to return those who do not have a right to stay. The new visa code rules will give us another tool to respond to those third countries who are not willing to take their own nationals back."
Valentin Radev, Bulgarian minister of interior
The updated regulation will modernise the EU visa policy, allow for improved security and increase the available tools to respond to migration challenges.
- » EU Summit to Defuse Migrant Tension, Set Brexit Countdown
- » Poland Banned from EU Judicial Body
- » By April 2019, EU Countries must say Whether they Want Summer or Winter Time
- » Hungary Vote Deepens Rift in European Right
- » German MEP Manfred Weber Warns Romania over Jeopardizing Bulgaria’s and Croatia’s and its Own Accession to Schengen
- » EU Must Grasp World Role as U.S. Retreats, Juncker Says