Visa Policy: Council Agrees Negotiating Mandate on the Amendment of the Visa Code
On 19 June 2018, EU ambassadors endorsed, on behalf of the Council, a mandate for negotiations on a proposal amending the visa code. On the basis of this mandate, the Council Presidency will start negotiations with the European Parliament once the latter has adopted its position.
"An efficient management of migration includes ensuring we are able to return those who do not have a right to stay. The new visa code rules will give us another tool to respond to those third countries who are not willing to take their own nationals back."
Valentin Radev, Bulgarian minister of interior
The updated regulation will modernise the EU visa policy, allow for improved security and increase the available tools to respond to migration challenges.
- » Mogherini: In June, North Macedonia and Albania will Start Negotiations with the EU
- » The EP: Stronger EU Borders With a New Standing Corps of 10000 Border Guards
- » The EU has finally adopted the Copyright Directive
- » 4 EU Nations to Take in 64 Migrants Rescued at Sea Near Malta
- » States Must Not Allow Their Territory to be Used For Malicious Actions Using New Technologies, Federica Mogherini
- » The European Parliament Approved a Draft Law on Content in Social Networks