Spain Fired its Coach a Day before the Start of the 2018 World Cup
Julen Lopetegui has been sacked as Spain manager on the eve of the World Cup after leaving the Spanish FA furious after accepting the Real Madrid job.
Lopetegui had penned a new contract to 2020 just weeks ago on May 22, but the lure of succeeding Zinedine Zidane proved too much.
The news comes 48 hours before Spain's opening Group B fixture vs Portugal, with Under-21 boss Albert Celades stepping in to replace Lopetegui, who will not speak to the media until he returns to Spain.
RFEF president Luis Rubiales was said to be "furious" and "deeply upset" after Los Blancos confirmed Lopetegui as their new boss and confirmed Lopetegui's departure.
"We have been forced to break our agreement with Julen Lopetegui," said the RFEF chief.
"We have to decided to fire the national coach [Lopetegui]. What we have achieved in getting here is due in great part to him, and we must thank him and wish him luck.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Minister of Sports Krassen Kralev : Stadiums Could Close Doors to Fans
- » 30 Years Later: Liverpool Is The New Champion of England!
- » Tennis Star Novak Djokovic Tests Positive for Covid-19
- » Coaches of Grigor Dimitrov and Novak Djokovic Tested Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgarian Тennis Star Grigor Dimitrov Is Infected With COVID-19
- » Grigor Dimitrov is Training in His Hometown Haskovo