Spain Fired its Coach a Day before the Start of the 2018 World Cup
Julen Lopetegui has been sacked as Spain manager on the eve of the World Cup after leaving the Spanish FA furious after accepting the Real Madrid job.
Lopetegui had penned a new contract to 2020 just weeks ago on May 22, but the lure of succeeding Zinedine Zidane proved too much.
The news comes 48 hours before Spain's opening Group B fixture vs Portugal, with Under-21 boss Albert Celades stepping in to replace Lopetegui, who will not speak to the media until he returns to Spain.
RFEF president Luis Rubiales was said to be "furious" and "deeply upset" after Los Blancos confirmed Lopetegui as their new boss and confirmed Lopetegui's departure.
"We have been forced to break our agreement with Julen Lopetegui," said the RFEF chief.
"We have to decided to fire the national coach [Lopetegui]. What we have achieved in getting here is due in great part to him, and we must thank him and wish him luck.
- » Marcelinho, Is №1 Football Player in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Volleyball Nationals had Perfect Start at the Nations League Games in Varna
- » Why Bulgaria Could Appeal to Gambling Titans
- » Sofia Fit Fest 2019 Will Be Twice as Big as the Previous Year
- » The Bulgarian National Football Team Will Play Against Kosovo
- » Grigor Dimitrov Will Face Stan Wawrinka In the Third Round of the French Open