Qatar Seeks Full Membership in NATO
OHA (Sputnik) - Qatar considers the option of NATO membership, as the country effectively cooperates with the alliance, Qatari Defense Minister Khalid bin Mohammad Al Attiyah said.
"Qatar effectively cooperates with NATO, this cooperation is developing day by day and may eventually lead to deploying some unit or special NATO center on the territory of Qatar. As for NATO membership… we do have ambitions to seek full membership of NATO if the alliance expands its partnership," Attiyah said in an interview with the defense ministry's magazine.
The minister noted that the alliance could assist Qatar in fighting against terrorism and could be a guarantor of stability in the region.
In March, Qatari armed forces signed an agreement with NATO on military and security cooperation.
- » Sweden Offers to Bulgaria 10 Gripen Fighters for BGN 1.8 Billion
- » Bulgarian PM: New F16 is Much Better than Any Other Aircraft Offered
- » Bulgaria Invests in its T-72 Tanks
- » Bulgaria Has Not Received Information About Increased NATO Presence in Black Sea
- » Atlantic Council of Bulgaria Voiced a Position on the Acquisition of a New Type of Combat Aircraft
- » Bulgarian Minister of Defence: Four Countries Fund Radical Islam in Bulgaria