Qatar Seeks Full Membership in NATO
OHA (Sputnik) - Qatar considers the option of NATO membership, as the country effectively cooperates with the alliance, Qatari Defense Minister Khalid bin Mohammad Al Attiyah said.
"Qatar effectively cooperates with NATO, this cooperation is developing day by day and may eventually lead to deploying some unit or special NATO center on the territory of Qatar. As for NATO membership… we do have ambitions to seek full membership of NATO if the alliance expands its partnership," Attiyah said in an interview with the defense ministry's magazine.
The minister noted that the alliance could assist Qatar in fighting against terrorism and could be a guarantor of stability in the region.
In March, Qatari armed forces signed an agreement with NATO on military and security cooperation.
- » Over BGN 50 Million Needed for the Repair the Bulgarian Army's Helicopters
- » Eight Countries will Participate in the largest NATO Military Exercise in Bulgaria
- » Turkey has Completed the Construction of a 764-kilometer Concrete Wall on the Syrian Border
- » The Bulgarian Army will have New Combat Equipment
- » Aleksandar Vucic: "We have been Warned - if we Send Soldiers to Kosovo..."
- » Jens Stoltenberg: If Iran Invades Israel, NATO will not intervene