Qatar Seeks Full Membership in NATO
OHA (Sputnik) - Qatar considers the option of NATO membership, as the country effectively cooperates with the alliance, Qatari Defense Minister Khalid bin Mohammad Al Attiyah said.
"Qatar effectively cooperates with NATO, this cooperation is developing day by day and may eventually lead to deploying some unit or special NATO center on the territory of Qatar. As for NATO membership… we do have ambitions to seek full membership of NATO if the alliance expands its partnership," Attiyah said in an interview with the defense ministry's magazine.
The minister noted that the alliance could assist Qatar in fighting against terrorism and could be a guarantor of stability in the region.
In March, Qatari armed forces signed an agreement with NATO on military and security cooperation.
- » Bulgarian President Calls for Restraint During Procedure for Purchase of Military Aircraft
- » America’s Obesity is Threatening National Security, According to Study
- » US, China Look on as Putin Seeks India Arms Deals
- » Bm: SAAB Gripen Played its Trump Card for the Deal of New Bulgarian Fighter Jets
- » Bulgarian Defense Minister: Working Group will Study Offers for New Fighter Jets by October 19
- » U.S., Sweden and Italy Bid To Supply Bulgaria with Fighter Jets (Updated)