The Mayor of Bourgas: It is better to Make Electricity from Garbage instead of Burning it
Bourgas City Council adopted a project proposal for "Design and construction of anaerobic installations for separately collected biodegradable waste". The project is expected to be financed with BGN 30 million under the Operational Program "Environment". e-Burgas.com wrote about the idea in January.
"We thought about a waste incineration plant, but you know that there is currently a wave of dissatisfaction with this technology in Sofia, it has filtered out 99% of the harmful substances that go into the atmosphere, but the other 1% an interesting spectrum of the Mendeleev's table, thus creating a risk for the people in the city, "said Dimitar Nikolov.
At the same time, the installation for separately collected biodegradable waste is completely harmless, and from the decomposition of the garbage, electricity will be produced. The project was more sophisticated and risky because it required specific technology, Nikolov said.
Anaerobic digestion is a natural process that has been used by mankind for decades. A group of bacteria sequentially break down organic matter and biogas under oxygen-free conditions (anaerobic conditions). The main advantages of this process are biogas production and a significant reduction in the volume of waste. This process often takes place in closed and thus controlled systems. This also leads to the control and removal of the odor that comes from organic waste.
Nikolov reminded that many people laughed at the idea of Burgas Municipality to collect leaves and branches to produce compost. At present, this compost has already been certified in a second foreign laboratory in the EU. One piece of it is sold in bulk, and another is sold at retail to people who use it for their gardens and indoor plants. At the same time, the Municipality of Burgas stimulates conscientious citizens who pay their taxes by giving them free compost.
- » 90 Days Term to Apply for Participation in Selection for Belene NPP Investor
- » PM Boyko Borisov: Gas Interconnector between Bulgaria and Greece to Play Key Role for the Region and Europe
- » Bulgaria is Officially Seeking for an Investor for Belene Nuclear Power Plant
- » Owners of Small Photovoltaic Plants in Bulgaria Threaten with Civil Disobedience
- » The Energy Efficiency Program Will be Restored From Next Year
- » Bulgaria to Continue to Rely on Energy from its Coal-fired Power Plants