North and South Korean Leaders Hold Surprise Meeting
Seoul, South Korea (CNN) - The leaders of North and South Korea held a surprise meeting Saturday, their second in a month, two days after President Donald Trump abruptly canceled a summit meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
In a tweet Friday, Trump maintained "very productive talks" were continuing on the North Korean summit.
Moon, who has been a mediator between Trump and Kim, called an emergency meeting in the middle of the night after Trump called off the June summit in a letter to Kim.
US officials said the final straw came when a North Korean Foreign Ministry official called Vice President Mike Pence a "political dummy" and hinted that Pyongyang was ready for a "nuclear showdown" should diplomacy fail.
But a North Korean Foreign Ministry official said Friday that Kim was still willing to meet with Trump "at any time."
- » Pope Francis Arrived in Panama
- » Libya, Bulgaria Review Resumption of Cooperation
- » Putin and Erdogan to Hold Syria Talks
- » Bulgaria Ready to Start Negotiations with Great Britain on Signature of Bilateral Social Agreement
- » Libya Seeks Restoration of Economic Relations with Bulgaria
- » France and Germany Renew Postwar Vows of Friendship