On Wednesday European Council president Donald Tusk had laid into the US President.
Trump: The EU is a Terrible Trading Partner
"With friends like these, who need enemies," he'd said, referring to Donald Trump's trade tariffs and his abandoning of the Iran nuclear deal.
Then on Thursday came President's Trump's riposte:
"Frankly the EU, outside of China and a couple of others, treats us on trade as badly as you can be treated."
At the moment the EU has secured temporary exemptions from a 25 percent steel tariff and a 10 percent aluminum tariff, both introduced by President Trump and primarily targetting China,
"The European Union has been terrible to the United States on trade, terrible to our workers. Last year, we had a trade deficit of 151 billion dollars. And I know Jean-Claude very well, and I know Donald very well and I like them both, but they're very tough and we never had anybody negotiating for us," he said.
Trading blows with other world leaders has not been uncommon during Trump's presidency.
Also on Thursday President Trump again attacked Germany for not paying as much as it should into NATO's budget.
The alliance says its members should pay them two percent of their GDP, but Germany only pays 1.3 percent.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: The President will Not Talk to "We Continue the Change" and BSP for a New Cabinet
- » Bulgaria: “We Continue the Change” will Start Negotiations for a New Cabinet
- » "Democratic Bulgaria" at the Presidential Consultations: It is Important to form a Cabinet with the First Term
- » “There Is Such a People” at the Presidential Consultations: We Ask you to Declassify the January Talks for North Macedonia
- » NATO: Bulgaria Increased Defense Spending by 7.49% compared to Last Year
- » DPS at the Presidential Consultations: We must Turn to the Voters again