Bill Cosby is Found Guilty of Sexual Assault
DW - The 80-year-old comedian has been found guilty of aggravated indecent assault in a retrial of 2017 case. The verdict follows other celebrity sexual misconduct revelations that sparked the #MeToo movement.
The verdict is part of the 80-year-old's second trial for drugging and sexually assaulting 45-year-old Andrea Constand in 2004.
The facts of the case:
- Constand, a former women's basketball administrator, accused Cosby of drugging her with pills before molesting her while she was incapacitated in his Philadelphia home in 2004.
- The comedian dismissed the charges, claiming the encounter was consensual.
- The first trial against Cosby ended with a hung jury in 2017, prompting prosecutors to decide to retry him for a second time.
- On Thursday, the jury found him guilty of all three charges of aggravated indecent assault after 14 hours of deliberation.
After jurors left the courtroom, Cosby stood up and shouted in the direction of District Attorney Kevin Steele: "I'm sick of him!" Steele had been arguing for revoking Cosby's bail.
Steele said: "Money and power or who you are will not stop us from a criminal investigation or prosecuting a case."
Cosby's lawyer, Tom Mesereau, said the "fight is not over" and that his client plans to appeal the verdict.
Gloria Allred, a lawyer representing some of the women who have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct and testified during the trial, said: "We are so happy that finally we can say, women are believed."
- » 90 People Were Detained during Protests in Paris
- » Migrant Situation in Greece Gets even Worse - Lesbos Camp Is Overcrowded
- » Four People Were Killed in the Floods in Texas after Imelda
- » 600 Protests Are Planned in the United States on September 20-27
- » Queen Elizabeth II Owns Four Apartments in Moscow, but She May not Know about them
- » Mark Zuckerberg Met Donald Trump at the White House