Another Smolyan Village Completely Deserted
The Smolyan village of Milkovo is now without any inhabitants, according to data from the Territorial Statistical Bureau (RSB). The village has been depopulated since the last inhabitant of the village has left it.
With it the depopulated villages in the area become eight in total. These are Little Krushevo, Vodni Pad, Kokortsi, Bablon, Slivovo, Chamla and Dryanovets. In 88 villages in Smolyan, the population is below 50 people.
The statistical summaries indicate that last year the negative demographic trends in the mountainous region deepened. The population in the region has decreased by 2143 people, reaching 107 282 inhabitants.
The inhabitants of the Smolyan region are declining according to statistics, both as a result of falling birth rates and increased mortality, as well as due to migration processes.
And in 2017, the process of population aging in the region continues, according to RSB.
The population over the age of 65 in the area is 23% of all, with the relative share of seniors rising by 7.1% over the past 10 years. Natural growth last year has reached minus 9.5 percent.
A total of 746 babies were born in the region last year. The relative share of children born without marriage increases - 68% of newborns. The highest share of non-married infants is in the municipality of Madan - 86.7%
- » PM Borissov: It is Most Important to Protect our Medical Professionals, They Will Receive Bonus Remuneration
- » Valery Simeonov Was Elected Deputy Chairman of the National Assembly
- » President Rumen Radev Has Returned the Proposal to Appoint Ivan Geshev as Prosecutor General
- » President Rumen Radev with a Statement on the New Attorney General's Decree
- » Bulgaria’s Parliament Accepts the Resignations of Liliyana Pavlova and Volen Siderov
- » Protest Against the Election of Geshev as Chief Prosecutor