NYT: Toronto Van Driver Kills at Least 10 People
TORONTO — The killing began on a busy lunchtime thoroughfare in Toronto on Monday when a white rental Ryder van ran over a pedestrian crossing the street — then mounted a sidewalk and began plowing into people indiscriminately.
“One by one, one by one,” said a witness who identified himself as Ali. “Holy God, I’ve never seen such a sight before. I feel sick.”
By the end, at least 10 people were dead and 15 were injured, said the authorities.
The driver’s actions, they said, appeared intentional, but did not seem to have been an act of terrorism. “The city is safe,” said the Toronto police chief, Mark Saunders.
The driver, who was identified as Alek Minassian, 25, was in custody after initially refusing to surrender.
- » Brazil shooting: Five Dead as Gunman Opens Fire in Cathedral
- » France Raises Terror Alert Level as Police Search For Gunman Who Killed Three at Christmas Market
- » Four Detained in Bulgaria for Human Trafficking
- » Building on Facebook Campus in California Evacuated Due to Bomb Threat
- » Gunman Kills at Least Four People in French Christmas Market
- » American Promoter was Arrested for Appropriation of $ 750,000 for a Charity Concert in Bulgaria