The EC is Considering Setting Up a New Energy Agency
The establishment of a new European Energy Agency was discussed during the informal meeting of the ministers in Sofia. The new structure will include all state regulators of the EU countries. This was stated at a press conference after the meeting of the Minister of Energy Temenuzhka Petkova.
"We have gained clarity about the positions of the Member States with regard to the directives on energy efficiency and renewable energy sources," Petkova said.
She said the discussion was extremely fruitful in view of the future development of European legislation. Petkova also noted that the measures would be presented for discussion in the European Parliament.
"The Bulgarian Presidency is working on important topics related to the EC's vision for clean energy, including energy efficiency and changes in the Renewable Energy Directive," said Commissioner for Climate and Energy Miguel Arias Cañete.
According to him, the Bulgarian Presidency has the difficult task of finding a compromise between the positions of the European Commission and Parliament. "This will require a lot of work, but I am convinced that we will achieve our goals during the presidency."
The EU commissioner noted that they discussed the role of the future European agency, which will unite all energy regulators in the EU. He believes that if an agreement is reached on the topics discussed in Sofia, "it will be an incredible success of the Presidency.
- » ECB Could take more than One Tear to Assess Bulgaria's Banking Union Bid
- » Bulgaria's Path towards ERM II Participation
- » European Parliament and Commission Divided on National Parks in Bulgaria
- » Foreign Minister Zaharieva: The Netherlands and France do not Let Bulgaria in the Schengen Zone
- » Bulgaria Makes Bank Pledges in Bid to Join Euro Waiting Room
- » Prime Minister Borisov will Receive the European Personality of the Year Award in Sarajevo