Dozens Dead in Indonesia after Drinking Bootleg Liquor
JAKARTA (Reuters) - More than 50 Indonesians have died and many have been become sick and hospitalised since last week after consuming homemade alcohol tainted with various ingredients including mosquito repellent, authorities said on Tuesday.
Police have detained at least 12 men in the capital, Jakarta, and a neighbouring province on suspicion of making and selling the liquor.
“It was a blend of components not fit for consumption. We are still testing to determine the contents,” said a police spokesman, Trunoyudo Wisnu Andiko.
Authorities had raided streetside vendors to seize and destroy thousands of bottles of the moonshine, he said.
Media broadcast pictures of grieving families waiting to claim the bodies of loved ones at hospital morgues in several cities.
Deaths from such consumption are reported frequently, but the latest toll is among the highest in recent years. In 2016, 36 people died after drinking locally made liquor, according to media.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Another Day Another Group of Migrants Detained in Bulgaria: 10 caught near Iganovo
- » Another Chase with Illegal Migrants in Bulgaria: This time a Bus Crashed near Chirpan
- » Bulgaria: A Tanker Exploded in Ruse - One Casualty Reported
- » Bulgaria: Police Officer injured during a Chase with Migrants remains in Critical Condition
- » At least 35 Injured after 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey
- » Bulgarian Police are looking for a Car with Migrants that Escaped after a Chase on Trakia Highway (UPDATED)