Today is Holy and Great Saturday
In Eastern Orthodoxy this day, known as Holy and Great Saturday, is also called The Great Sabbath since it is on this day that Christ "rested" physically in the tomb. But it is also believed that it was on this day he performed in spirit the Harrowing of Hell and raised up to Paradise, having liberated those who had been held captive.
By using this title the Church links Holy Saturday with the creative act of God. In the initial account of creation as found in the Book of Genesis, God made man in His own image and likeness. To be truly himself, man was to live in constant communion with the source and dynamic power of that image: God. Man fell from God. Now Christ, the Son of God through whom all things were created, has come to restore man to communion with God. He thereby completes creation. All things are again as they should be. His mission is consummated. On the Blessed Sabbath He rests from all His works.
Holy Saturday is a neglected day in parish life. Few people attend the Services. Popular piety usually reduces Holy Week to one day—Holy Friday. This day is quickly replaced by another—Easter Sunday. Christ is dead and then suddenly alive. Great sorrow is suddenly replaced by great joy. In such a scheme Holy Saturday is lost.
In the understanding of the Church, sorrow is not replaced by joy; it is transformed into joy. This distinction indicates that it is precisely within death that Christ continues to effect triumph.
- » Only 1/3 of Bulgarians are Interested in Science
- » Next year the Health Budget in Bulgaria will Increase by About BGN 490 Million
- » Taiwan Investigates Train Crash that Killed 18
- » Climatologist Assoc. Prof. Georgi Rachev Predicts a Warm Winter
- » Bulgarian Mothers of Disabled Children go on Protest with Demand for Deputy PM Simeonov to Resign
- » Mostly Cloudy Today with Rain in Some Parts of West and Central Bulgaria