S. Korea Ex-president Park Jailed for 24 Years over Corruption Scandal
, SEOUL, South Korea, Apr 6 – South Korea’s disgraced former president Park Geun-hye was jailed for 24 years Friday for corruption, closing out a dramatic fall from grace for the country’s first woman leader who became a figure of public fury and ridicule.
She was found guilty on charges of bribery, coercion and abuse of power, and ordered to pay a fine of 18 billion won ($17 million).
“The amount of bribery the accused received or demanded in collaboration with Choi amounts to more than 23 billion won,” Judge Kim Se-Yoon said, referring to Park’s secret confidante and long-time friend Choi Soon-sil.
“I sentence the accused to 24 years in prison and 18 billion won in fines.”
- » The Mission of the 36th Bulgarian Military Contingent in Afghanistan has Began
- » Unemployment in Bulgaria Continues to Decline
- » Theresa May: 'We risk Ending up with no Brexit at All'
- » In the Mountains During the Summer? Here are some Tips from a Rescuer
- » Today is the Donald Trump Vladimir Putin Helsinki Summit
- » Ukrainian President Appoints Ambassadors to Bulgaria and Algeria