Northern Greece is in a State of Emergency due to the Overflow of Rivers
An extraordinary situation has been announced in part of northern Greece, due to the Maritsa and Arda rivers, the agencies said.
Under the threat of floods, a disaster situation has been announced across the Euros region - from Alexandroupolis to Orestiada.
Referring to the Bulgarian side, the Evros District Administration reports that a new rise in the level of discharge from Ivailovgrad dam is expected.
Farmers and technicians have been withdrawn from the Maritsa and Arda rivers.
Authorities are also willing to evacuate residents if the water level gets dangerous near settlements.
There is a controlled release of water, resulting in floods of 45,000 acres of arable land. In several places, dams were broken by the strong pressure of the water.
All Civil Protection teams are helping residents of the area. There is a complete ban on bringing people and cars closer to the riverbed.
The traffic was interrupted on several roads due to the immense risk of flooding the route. It is also expected to stop the traffic on the railway line on Friday.
- » Two Powerful Earthquakes Registered in Indonesia Minutes Ago!
- » Indonesia Returns Tonnes of Waste to the West
- » Mostly Cloudy Weather Today, Rain is Expected in Many Areas
- » It Will Be Mostly Sunny Today, Isolated Showers Are Possible in the Mountains
- » Тhis Summer Was the Hottest on Record in the Northern Hemisphere
- » Neno Dimov: Less than 3% of the Imported Waste in 2018 Is Burned in TPPs