The Mayor of Tripoli was Kidnapped
TRIPOLI (Reuters) - The mayor of Libya’s capital was abducted by unknown gunmen from his house overnight, Tripoli’s city council said on Thursday.
“The municipality of central Tripoli and its residents received the news of the abduction of mayor Abdulraouf Hassan Baitelmal by a foolish party after they stormed his house by force of arms and took him to an unknown destination,” the municipal council said in a statement.
The council said it was suspending work in protest until further notice, and called on “competent authorities and residents” to work to secure his release.
Government officials in Tripoli say security in the capital has improved over the past two years, though abductions remain common.
Armed groups have held real power on the ground in Tripoli since Libya’s 2011 uprising.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Begging and Prostitution are No Longer Crimes in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 1-year-old Child is in Coma after being Beaten in Plovdiv
- » Bulgaria: Mother and Son were found Dead in Kyustendil
- » Bulgaria: A Municipal Councilor in Velingrad was Murdered (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: Two People Killed in a Fight between Families in Nova Zagora
- » The 15-year-old Bus Driver who Killed the Policemen may Receive up to 10 Years in Prison