The Mayor of Tripoli was Kidnapped
TRIPOLI (Reuters) - The mayor of Libya’s capital was abducted by unknown gunmen from his house overnight, Tripoli’s city council said on Thursday.
“The municipality of central Tripoli and its residents received the news of the abduction of mayor Abdulraouf Hassan Baitelmal by a foolish party after they stormed his house by force of arms and took him to an unknown destination,” the municipal council said in a statement.
The council said it was suspending work in protest until further notice, and called on “competent authorities and residents” to work to secure his release.
Government officials in Tripoli say security in the capital has improved over the past two years, though abductions remain common.
Armed groups have held real power on the ground in Tripoli since Libya’s 2011 uprising.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Spouses Found Dead in Blagoevgrad, Son is a Suspect of the Murder
- » At Least 116 people have Died in a Prison Riot in Ecuador
- » Demonstrative Murder in Sofia: A Man was Shot Dead at Gerena Stadium
- » Record Homicide Growth in the United States Last Year
- » Ministry of Interior Will Investigate 14 Organ Transplant Surgeries in Lozenets Hospital
- » Belgian Army Deserter Nicknamed “Belgian Rambo” Found Dead after Month Search