France to Pay National Tribute to Officer Killed in Friday Hostage Crisis
French will pay national tribute to Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame, who swapped places with a hostage during the deadly attacks in the southern French department of Aude, and later died of sustained wounds, the Elysee Palace said instatement, Sputnik reported.
Earlier in the day, French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said that the gendarme had died of wounds sustained during the recent hostage crisis in the town of Trebes.
“President of the Republic [Emmanuel Macron] decided that national honors will be paid to Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame who gave his life to defend our citizens,” the Saturday statement read.
French Police Arrest Second Person Associated With Trebes Attack - Reports.
The decision was made following a French Security Council meeting earlier on Saturday.
- » The Great Bulgarian Director and Animator Rumen Petkov has Died
- » Swedish DJ Avicii Dies Aged 28
- » US First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at Age 92
- » Milos Forman Two-Time Oscar Winning Directo Dead At 86
- » Winnie Mandela, South African Anti-apartheid Crusader, Dies at 81
- » Stephen Hawking, Renowned Scientist, Dies at 76