France to Pay National Tribute to Officer Killed in Friday Hostage Crisis
French will pay national tribute to Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame, who swapped places with a hostage during the deadly attacks in the southern French department of Aude, and later died of sustained wounds, the Elysee Palace said instatement, Sputnik reported.
Earlier in the day, French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said that the gendarme had died of wounds sustained during the recent hostage crisis in the town of Trebes.
“President of the Republic [Emmanuel Macron] decided that national honors will be paid to Lt. Col. Arnaud Beltrame who gave his life to defend our citizens,” the Saturday statement read.
French Police Arrest Second Person Associated With Trebes Attack - Reports.
The decision was made following a French Security Council meeting earlier on Saturday.
- » Bernardo Bertolucci, Oscar-Winning Director of ‘The Last Emperor,’ Dies at 77
- » 'The Real Super Mario' Dies Aged 84
- » Dimitar Petrov, the Director of Beloved Bulgarian Films has Passed Away
- » Charles Aznavour, French Singing Star, Dies at 94
- » Burt Reynolds: Hollywood Star Dies at 82
- » Former UN Chief Kofi Annan Dies at 80