Britain’s Top Diplomat Boris Johnson: Russia’s Putin will use World Cup like Hitler used Olympics
Britain’s top diplomat, Boris Johnson, told Parliament on Wednesday that Russian President Vladimir Putin would use the World Cup this summer as a propaganda tool much as Hitler used the 1936 Olympic Games to glorify Nazi Germany.
The provocative comparison drew an enraged reaction from the Moscow — which has often stoked nationalist pride around the Soviet Union’s triumph over Nazi Germany in the Second World War — and was a striking example of the diplomatic clash between the two countries following the poisoning of a Russian former spy, Sergei Skripal, and his daughter earlier this month.
In testimony before the Foreign Affairs Select Committee of the House of Commons, Johnson, the foreign secretary, said that ensuring the safety of British soccer fans who travel to the World Cup was a crucial concern.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Movement for Rights and Freedoms Will Not Take Part in New Government, Will Support Cabinet Proposed by New Parties
- » ‘Sofa-gate’ Brings More Headaches for EU
- » VMRO Claim Multiple Irregularities, Seeks Annulment of Vote Results in Turkey
- » Housing Prices in Bulgaria Soared by 30 Percent over Decade – Eurostat
- » MEP Elena Yoncheva Under Fire for Alleged Money Laundering
- » Bulgaria: CEC Removes Boyko Borissov, Six Others from Elected MPs List