Trump Seeks Death Penalty for Drug Traffickers to Curb US Opioid Abuse
U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled his long-awaited plan to combat the nation's opioid addiction crisis on Monday, Voice of America reported.
In a speech at an event in Manchester, N.H., Trump vowed to help create “a generation of drug-free children” saying, “together, we will end the scourge of drug addiction in America once and for all.”
Trump said in order to win, it is important to “get tough” with drug dealers.
“If we don't get tough on the drug dealers, we are wasting our time. And that toughness includes the death penalty," he said, to which the audience responded with applause.
Trump lamented that under the current law, a dealer could sell a drug that could kill thousands during their lifetime but only receive a short prison sentence.
“This is about winning a very, very tough problem. If we don’t get very tough on these dealers, it’s not going happen,” Trump warned.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi warned that the president's proposals need funding or they will end up being "more broken promises from the Trump administration."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission urges Bulgaria to Reduce Air Pollution
- » Nehammer: The EU should Finance the Construction of a Fence along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border
- » Zelensky is Not Interested in Meeting Putin for Peace Talks
- » Attacks on Several Churches in Southern Spain, there are Killed and Injured
- » Day 337 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US Sends 31 M1 Abrams, Germany Sends 14 Leopards, The Tank Coalition Grows (UPDATED)
- » Meta to reinstate the Accounts of Donald Trump on Facebook and Instagram