Trump Seeks Death Penalty for Drug Traffickers to Curb US Opioid Abuse
U.S. President Donald Trump unveiled his long-awaited plan to combat the nation's opioid addiction crisis on Monday, Voice of America reported.
In a speech at an event in Manchester, N.H., Trump vowed to help create “a generation of drug-free children” saying, “together, we will end the scourge of drug addiction in America once and for all.”
Trump said in order to win, it is important to “get tough” with drug dealers.
“If we don't get tough on the drug dealers, we are wasting our time. And that toughness includes the death penalty," he said, to which the audience responded with applause.
Trump lamented that under the current law, a dealer could sell a drug that could kill thousands during their lifetime but only receive a short prison sentence.
“This is about winning a very, very tough problem. If we don’t get very tough on these dealers, it’s not going happen,” Trump warned.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi warned that the president's proposals need funding or they will end up being "more broken promises from the Trump administration."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 5G Technology is Being Tested in Slovenia
- » Mystery Rocket was Launched in Space this Sunday
- » Nearly 4 Million People Worldwide are Infected with COVID-19
- » German Chancellor Angela Merkel Called on Kosovo and Serbia to Reach an Agreement by the End of 2020
- » UN: Sharp Decline in the World Food Prices because of the Coronavirus
- » Russia is Now in the Top 5 of the Most Affected by the Coronavirus Countries