Austria Supported the Accession of Bulgaria to Schengen
''We are glad that we have the opportunity to support Bulgaria for its accession to the Schengen area. There is no country in Europe that has invested so much in protecting the external borders.
This was stated by Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurtz in a joint statement with Prime Minister Boyko Borissov at Boyana Residence.
''We will use our Presidency to make Europe stronger, to work more on the bigger issues and leave the smaller issues to the individual Member States and the regions. We believe that the most serious area in which we have to work is security, there is a need for greater joint work on the external borders, especially to stop illegal migration. I thank Bulgaria for your efforts in recent years, especially to you, my friend, because with such insistence the migration wave has to be stopped to a large extent'', Kurtz told Borissov.
With regard to the Western Balkans, Kurtz said it is important for all the Western Balkans to support their way to Europe.
Thanks for the political and economic cooperation, the Austrian Chancellor stressed, and noted that 350 companies are from Austria who work in Bulgaria. "We are among the most important investors in Bulgaria'', said Sebastian Kurtz.
"I have always said that 2018 should be regarded as the Bulgarian-Austrian Presidency, thank you for your appreciation and support, and for your willingness to help protect the external border," said Prime Minister Boyko Borissov.
"We currently zero migration pressures. A single goal we set at the meeting in Varna - the agreement to allow those over 3 million migrants to stay in Turkey for which we will pay, but to protect Europe from them,'' the PM said.
Regarding Schengen, Borissov pointed out that everyone is seeing that we have managed.
- » Bulgarian PM Borissov in Thessaloniki: There is no Better Place than the European Union
- » Premier Boyko Borissov to Participate at Thessaloniki Summit 2018
- » Bulgaria’s PM Held Bilateral Meetings with PMs of Serbia and Montenegro
- » Bulgaria’s PM Borisov Met with his Macedonian Counterpart Zaev
- » Struma Motorway in Sandanski-Kresna Section Will be Opened in Early December
- » Village near Chicago Signs Friendship Agreement with Bulgarian City Pernik