The Government Withdrew the Istanbul Convention
The government withdrew the Istanbul Convention. This happened during today's cabinet meeting. The ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Violence against Women and Domestic Violence is repealed until the Constitutional Court has pronounced its verdict, said Prime Minister Boyko Borissov.
"As it sounds, the government accepted it, but then there were very serious reactions by coalition partner, Orthodoxy and the Mufti.
There were huge fears in the Bulgarian people. We are a government elected by the people more than once and we are obliged to comply with what the people want, "said Boyko Borissov.
In his words, the Constitutional Court will now rule, and after the Convention is withdrawn, it will be possible to hold debates. This way, in a relaxed political, social atmosphere, we can weigh all the arguments on this subject.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend