Two Greek Troops Held in Turkey For Accidentally Crossing the Border
Two Greek troops are being held by the Turkish army since Thursday morning for accidentally crossing the Greek-Turkish border on Evros, Ekathimerini reported.
The Hellenic Army General Staff (HAGS) announced on Friday that the two Greek troops were patrolling the border at a forest area at Kastanies, near Evros river, amid stormy conditions. They accidentally stepped into Turkish territory and were detained by the Turkish army.
The statement noted that the two Greeks, an officer and a soldier, were forwarded to the Turkish city of Edirne for questioning. They are said to be healthy and well.
HAGS stated that the routine procedure for their return to Greece is already underway.
Observers note that usually such an incident would end within minutes, as such an accidental crossing of the border is quite common. However the two Greek troops were forwarded inland for further examination, given also that one of them is a second lieutenant.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Wizz Air announced New Route from Bulgaria to Armenia
- » Bulgarian Exports to Turkey Increase by over 32%
- » Wizz Air with 77% Growth in Passenger Flow in Bulgaria for 2022
- » Facts about Crude Oil that Every Trader Should Know
- » Mexico deported 27 Bulgarian Tourists in the span of 3 Months, Some were Kept in Cells for 4 Days
- » Half a Century Later: Bulgaria Leaves Two Soviet Banks