Juncker Says Would Like Britain Rejoin EU After Brexit
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Wednesday that he hoped Britain would rejoin the European Union after it has left next year, according to Reuters.
Speaking to the European Parliament, the EU chief executive, who will step down in late 2019, noted that the Union’s treaty provided not only for exit but also for admission to the bloc:
“Once the British have left under Article 50 there is still Article 49 which allows a return to membership and I would like that,” Juncker said. “I would like us now to treat each other with respect and not abandon each other.”
- » Mark Zuckerberg Hearing at the European Parliament Today (Live Stream)
- » FT: Macron Warns against Hasty EU Enlargement at the Sofia Summit
- » Remarks by President Donald Tusk after the EU-Western Balkans Summit
- » EIB Confirms Support for Western Balkans on the Path towards EU Integration
- » People in Europe with least Trust in the Media are Populists
- » Eurovision 2018: This is the Running Order of the Grand Final!