The Next European Elections will be 23-26 May 2019
The European Parliament has proposed that the next European elections be held between May 23-26, 2019, nearly two months after the scheduled exit of the UK from the EU, France Press reported, citing several parliamentary sources.
They reported that the dates were agreed at a meeting of EP political group chairs. The decision should be taken in the coming months unanimously by the EU Council after consultation with the EP. The European Parliament now has 751 deputies. However, their number could be reduced after Brexit scheduled for March 2019. Britain has 73 MEPs. The EP has recently proposed 22 of these places to be reallocated between other Member States and 51 to be abolished.
A reservation was made that the 51 mandates in question could still be maintained in the eventual enlargement of the European Union, as well as the creation of transnational lists - a proposal by French President Emmanuel Macron.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Brussels warns: Coronavirus Pandemic Threatens the Future of the Eurozone
- » Heads of EU and Western Balkans Countries will Meet Virtually
- » The EC Raised 7,4 Billion Euros to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine
- » Bulgaria has Officially Applied for the Eurozone
- » Eurostat: The Highest Rate of Severe Material Deprivation is in Bulgaria
- » ECB: Euro Banknotes do not Pose a Risk of Coronavirus Transmission