In Northwest Bulgaria some People Organize a Declaration of Independence
Residents of the Northwest organize a declaration with signatures for separating Vidin, Vratsa and Montana from Bulgaria, Nova TV reported. They say they want either autonomy, or to join Romania.
The organizer of the protest and the initiator of the subscription, Boris Kamenov, told NOVA that one of his reasons for the initiative is to save the region from corruption in Bulgaria. "We should not be part of this corruption," Kamenov said.
"The Northwest is known for having fighters," he said. He recalled how the population of his native region organized the Chiprovian uprising against the Ottoman Empire, as well as the September 1923 uprising. Boris Kamenov pointed out that people from the Northwest have always struggled for "real democracy".
Asked why the Northwest wants to become part of Romania, Kamenov pointed out without hesitation the more effective Romanian judicial system and the fight against corruption in our northern neighbor.
"Their judiciary is much more democratic and reformed," he said.
Another "separatist" said he supported the initiative because there is no work in Northwest Bulgaria.
"We are working in Kozloduy, Plovdiv and other cities, and there is nothing here," says the man in front of Nova TV.
The originator of the independence movement added that only after the region gained independence would it turn to Romania with a proposal to join it.
Asked whether Montana, Vidin and Vratsa would become like Barcelona, Kamenov replied that in the Northwest people needed "a man like Puigdemont".
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: BSP Demands Starting Talks with Russia on Sputnik V Vaccine Delivery
- » Bulgaria’s Deputy Prime Minister to Present National Recovery and Sustainability Plan before Parliament Recess
- » Bulgaria: Sofia Budget 2021 Adopted, Will Mayor Deliver on Promises?
- » Bulgaria: Remote Measuring Devices Become Mandatory as of 2027
- » Bulgarian Parliament Adopts Activity Report of Anti-Corruption Commission for Illegal Assets Forfeiture
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Spring Is Coming on Tiptoe