Snowstorm Chaos as Drivers Stranded on Main Greek Highway (video)
Hundreds of drivers have been stranded on the main Athens to Thessaloniki highway, as a snow storm hit central Greece, on Friday./ thegreekreporter
According to reports, traffic came to a standstill about 100 km north of Athens, just north of Lake Yliki.
A 14 km long jam formed, as thousands of Athenians were travelling north for the Christmas holidays.
Officials say that it could take hours to clear the highway from the snow. More than a dozen snowplowing vehicles are operating in this particular section of the road.
Heavy snow has caused problems in other parts of Greece, as well. Emergency services freed passengers of a bus that was stranded near Kalavryta, in the Peloponnese.
Traffic police is urging drivers to exercise extreme caution as night falls and ice forms on the roads.
- » Angelkova Expects 5% Growth in Foreign Tourists
- » India Raises Import Duties for US
- » A New German Plant Opens 2000 Jobs in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Farmers are Preparing to Protest over Changes in Farmland Law
- » The Average Salary in Bulgaria Increases by about 10% in Recent Years
- » Bulgarian Sauvignon Blanc Received an International Award