10 People were Sentenced to Death in China in Front of an Audience
A court in China sentenced 10 people to death, mostly for drug-related crimes, in front of thousands of people in a stadium before being sent for execution, the British Guardian newspaper writes.
They were executed immediately after the verdicts were handed down in Luffen Prefecture in southern Guangdong province (Canton), 160 km from Hong Kong, state media reported.
Seven people have been convicted of drug-related crimes and others for murder and robbery. Four days before the hearing, local residents are invited to attend, with the official message circulated on social networks.
The accused were brought to the stadium with police cars with sirens. Each of the accused was guarded by four policemen wearing sunglasses. One by one the accused were taken to the stadium, where the court pronounced the verdicts on a large stage. Thousands have attended the process and there was information that many students with uniforms were at the stadium.
In addition to the crowded places in the stadium, there was also an audience on the pitch, some of them filming the process with their phones. China performs the most executions per year compared to other countries around the world. According to unofficial data last year, about 2,000 people were executed in China.
- » Scientists just Found £150,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of Diamonds in the Ground
- » France Closes in on Phone Ban in Schools from September
- » New Technology Allows Ground Telescope to Take Sharper Images Than Hubble
- » Akka Link & Fly Flying Train Concept Looks to Disrupt the Plane Industry
- » Marking Nelson Mandela's 100th Birthday, A Message from the South African Embassy in Bulgaria
- » Skype Is Finally Getting A Call Recording Feature