The Pope has Called for Respect for the Status quo in Jerusalem
Hours before US President Donald Trump delivers a long-awaited keynote that, according to a number of analysts, will put a point on Washington's nearly 70-year-old political line for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the Roman Catholic Church leader said he supported the status quo in Jerusalem , AFP reports.
"I can not keep silent my deep concern about the situation that has occurred in recent days, while urging everyone to respect the status quo of the city in accordance with UN resolutions," said Pope Francis in a speech in Vatican City in the afternoon.
US President Donald Trump will deliver his speech, expecting the US president to "recognize the reality" that Jerusalem has long been the capital of Israel and to declare the move to the US diplomatic mission from Tel Aviv and which for decades remained a reason of contention between Israelis and Palestinians. Moreover - similar steps could be interpreted as a clear signal for the rejection of Washington's two-state solution to the conflict in the region.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The G7 will Oppose China with Investments
- » NATO to Increase its Rapid Reaction Force and will Double its Military in Eastern Europe
- » Day 124 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Battle of Lysychansk Continues, Zelensky wants More Weapons
- » Default: For the First Time in a Century, Russia has Not Repaid its Government Debt in Foreign Currency
- » Day 123 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Explosions in Kyiv, Widodo will meet Zelensky and Putin
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: We may Not Get a New Proposal