Nikulden, the day of St. Nicholas Day Marked in Bulgaria on Wednesday
The Day of St Nicholas (Nikola), also known as Wonderworker, the patron of fisherman, sailors, merchants and bankers, is being marked nationwide by Orthodox Christians in Bulgaria on Wednesday, December 06.
Known as Nikulden, it is also a special day for anyone named Nikolay, Nikola, Nikolina, Nikoleta, Neycho, Kolyo and many others - which means more than a hundred thousand Bulgarians.
All (or most) of these normally use the occasion to invite family members, relatives, or friends to their home to have fish for lunch or dinner. Stuffed carp is considered to be the traditional choice; and the table has to be richly laid, given the Bulgarian custom that if someone is celebrating their name day, others may come to their home uninvited.
Nikulden, however, is even a more special day in Bulgaria's annual festive calendar: in practice anyone may invite over lunch or dinner without bearing the name Nikoleta or Nikola.
- » Bulgarian Mountain Rescue Services: Missing Tourist Died
- » Plane with Bulgarian Politicians Made Emergency Landing in Vienna
- » Variable Clouds Over the Country, Highs Between 2°C and 7°C
- » Second Day 30 Mountain Rescuers Search for a Man Lost in the Balkan Mountain
- » Residents of Three Sofia Districts Protest Poor Air Quality
- » Slayer Include Bulgaria in their Final Tour in the Summer of 2019