Nikulden, the day of St. Nicholas Day Marked in Bulgaria on Wednesday
The Day of St Nicholas (Nikola), also known as Wonderworker, the patron of fisherman, sailors, merchants and bankers, is being marked nationwide by Orthodox Christians in Bulgaria on Wednesday, December 06.
Known as Nikulden, it is also a special day for anyone named Nikolay, Nikola, Nikolina, Nikoleta, Neycho, Kolyo and many others - which means more than a hundred thousand Bulgarians.
All (or most) of these normally use the occasion to invite family members, relatives, or friends to their home to have fish for lunch or dinner. Stuffed carp is considered to be the traditional choice; and the table has to be richly laid, given the Bulgarian custom that if someone is celebrating their name day, others may come to their home uninvited.
Nikulden, however, is even a more special day in Bulgaria's annual festive calendar: in practice anyone may invite over lunch or dinner without bearing the name Nikoleta or Nikola.
- » The Traffic on Trakia Highway Will Be Stopped for an Hour Tonight
- » 30 000 Laying Hens Burned Alive in a Fire in Peshtera
- » Bulgarian Model Wins Man of the World Title
- » Military Helicopter Crashed in Serbia
- » Artists From Over 10 Countries Will Participate at the Festival ' Laboratory 180 °'
- » The Metropolitan Library Presents an Exhibition for 140 Years of the State Gazette