Nikulden, the day of St. Nicholas Day Marked in Bulgaria on Wednesday
The Day of St Nicholas (Nikola), also known as Wonderworker, the patron of fisherman, sailors, merchants and bankers, is being marked nationwide by Orthodox Christians in Bulgaria on Wednesday, December 06.
Known as Nikulden, it is also a special day for anyone named Nikolay, Nikola, Nikolina, Nikoleta, Neycho, Kolyo and many others - which means more than a hundred thousand Bulgarians.
All (or most) of these normally use the occasion to invite family members, relatives, or friends to their home to have fish for lunch or dinner. Stuffed carp is considered to be the traditional choice; and the table has to be richly laid, given the Bulgarian custom that if someone is celebrating their name day, others may come to their home uninvited.
Nikulden, however, is even a more special day in Bulgaria's annual festive calendar: in practice anyone may invite over lunch or dinner without bearing the name Nikoleta or Nikola.
- » Good Weather Conditions for Mountain Tourism Today in Bulgaria
- » General Transport Strike Blocks Athens on May 1
- » Girl from Varna that Disappeared in Germany was Found
- » Sunny and Warm Today in Bulgaria with Highs Between 23°C and 28°C
- » The Earth Has Lost 12 million Hectares of Tropical Forests in 2018
- » During the 2017/2018 School Year, 16,300 Students Left School