Nikulden, the day of St. Nicholas Day Marked in Bulgaria on Wednesday
The Day of St Nicholas (Nikola), also known as Wonderworker, the patron of fisherman, sailors, merchants and bankers, is being marked nationwide by Orthodox Christians in Bulgaria on Wednesday, December 06.
Known as Nikulden, it is also a special day for anyone named Nikolay, Nikola, Nikolina, Nikoleta, Neycho, Kolyo and many others - which means more than a hundred thousand Bulgarians.
All (or most) of these normally use the occasion to invite family members, relatives, or friends to their home to have fish for lunch or dinner. Stuffed carp is considered to be the traditional choice; and the table has to be richly laid, given the Bulgarian custom that if someone is celebrating their name day, others may come to their home uninvited.
Nikulden, however, is even a more special day in Bulgaria's annual festive calendar: in practice anyone may invite over lunch or dinner without bearing the name Nikoleta or Nikola.
- » NEW CASES OF MEASLES: Infected Are Now 31
- » Special Themed Museum Tours Begin This Saturday in "Square 500"
- » Less than half of the Parents in Bulgaria Talk to their Children about Sex
- » Woman from Varna Created a Board Game with Bulgarian Folk Motifs
- » Emergency Measures Against the Spread of Measles in Sofia
- » Now You Can See What's the Weather on Mars