German President to Meet Party Leaders on Thursday
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier will meet with Chancellor Angela Merkel, the head of Bavaria’s conservatives, and the leader of the center Social Democrats (SPD) on Thursday, his office said on Friday, quoted by Reuters.
Steinmeier played a central role in encouraging the SPD to reverse its pledge to go into opposition. Thursday’s meeting will include Merkel, SPD leader Martin Schulz and Horst Seehofer, leader of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the sister party to Merkel’s Christian Democrats (CDU).
Schulz on Friday announced his center party would help form a new government led by Merkel to avert a disruptive repeat election in Europe’s economic and political powerhouse, but said party members would have the final say on any deal.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Former Prime Minister Fico Wins the Elections in Slovakia
- » The European Commission is Skeptical about the Schengen Compensation requested by Romania
- » On Sunday the Istanbul Convention becomes binding in the EU
- » Sweden seeks Military Help against Gang Violence
- » The EU guarantees the Stay of Ukrainian Refugees until March 2025
- » The European Commission announced Five Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria