The Attorney of Basque Terrorist Group ETA might Defend Puigdemont in Belgium
Catalonia Prime Minister Carles Puigdemont, who was removed from office, met today in Belgium with lawyer Paul Bekaert, who had been defending members of the Basque terrorist organization ETA, Vanguardia said, citing the lawyer himself.
"Yes, I am a lawyer for Carles Puigdemnt," said Bekaert. "If he needs protection, I will represent him." He added that he was well acquainted with the situation in Spain.
"It is possible to seek refuge, but I do not know what the result will be," said the lawyer, stressing that in Belgium the decision on such matters is taken not by the government but by an independent body - the Asylum Commissioner-General.
During the day, messages spread that the head of Catalunya secretly left Spain and sought political asylum. Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel's office did not confirm this information but did not deny it. Spain's prosecution has filed two charges against the expelled members of Catalonia's regional government and some local lawmakers for being involved in a revolt, mutiny, and wasteful use of public funds.
- » Bulgaria Parliament Bars Government from Signing Deals on Migrant Readmissions
- » The Bulgarian Customs have Collected nearly BGN 4.6 Billion for the First Half of the Year
- » The Macedonian Parliament Unanimously Approved a NATO Membership Declaration
- » Trump Invited Putin to the US
- » 1/3 of the Farmers in Bulgaria are over 65 Years of Age
- » Marines Are Practicing A Little-Used Tactic In Eastern Europe