Bulgarian Ship with Scrap was Detained in Salerno on the way to Sardinia
The Seven Star cargo ship was detained on its arrival in Salerno, Italy. The ship, built in 1982, has a Bulgarian flag and its manager / owner according to the Equasis global database, and the Russian Shipping Register is Low Sea Shipping Management Co. headquartered in Varna, the Maritime Newsletter reported, quoted by Mediapool on Sunday.
The cargo of hazardous iron waste will be unloaded and placed under supervision. The next stop of the vessel was Oristano, Sardinia, where the cargo would have been unloaded.
Italian authorities have long been suspicious of scrap cargo arriving in Sardinia. It is unclear what happens to industrial waste, including crushed cars, electronics, plastics, engine oil filters, household appliances, and more, in Sardinia, which has no processing and recycling factories and facilities.
The Italian authorities suspect either an illegal dump somewhere in Sardinia or in the waters of the island, or further transshipment of waste to other countries. It is said that Sardinia has become a regional waste center. Waste goods, as a rule, do not require documents certifying this waste in accordance with international regulations, the editorial says.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 700 NATO troops have arrived in Northern Kosovo
- » Day 464 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia faces a Dilemma whether to Protect its Border or the Occupied Territories
- » The Richest Man in the World: Elon Musk regained the Top Spot in the ranking
- » The US Senate has approved Raising the National Debt Ceiling
- » The Bulgarian Socialists did not support the EP's decision on Аmmunition for Ukraine
- » 2023 Parliamentary Elections in Montenegro: Young Voters Will Decide the Elections