The United States are Leaving UNESCO
The US State Department has sent UNESCO an official notification of withdrawal from the organization, reports Mediapool.
The decision comes into force on December 31, says a statement posted on the State Department website. The United States intends to set up its permanent observer mission to the organization. The decision is not taken lightly, and reflects the growing concerns of the United States with ever more UNESCO spheres that require a fundamental reform of the organization, as well as the anti-Israeli bias in UNESCO, the statement said.
The UNESCO leadership has already expressed "deep regret".
"I want to express deep regret about the US decision to leave UNESCO," said the head of the organization Irina Bokova.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Israeli Siblings Freed from Hamas Captivity Shocked to Hear about Mother's Murder
- » Survey Reveals: 1 in 3 Bulgarians Embrace European Identity
- » Extraordinary Elections in Serbia 2023: Domestic and Foreign Factors Vying for Influence
- » Serbian President: Bulgarians are Resentful because We are More Popular in North Macedonia
- » Day 643 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Forces Breaking Through Defenses near Avdiivka
- » Hamas Released 11 Hostages - Israel Released 33 Prisoners