Nearly 2,800 Migrants have Arrived in Greece so Far this Month
Almost 500 refugees and migrants arrived on the shores of Greece’s northern Aegean islands this week, taking the number of such arrivals since the beginning of September to nearly 2,800. The majority arrived on Lesvos, Ekathimerini writes.
The island’s mayor, Spyros Galinos, wrote to the European Commission and the Greek government earlier this week warning them about overcrowding at facilities for refugees on Lesvos and calling for some people to be transferred to the mainland.
A total of 1,619 migrants and refugees have arrived on the island since the start of September.
- » Athens-Skopje Deal Still Elusive
- » Athens Asks EU Official to Stop ‘Undermining’ FYROM Talks
- » Serbia Threatens Serbs with Prison if They Decide to Join Kosovo Army
- » Erdoğan's Call For Peace a Positive Step, Greece Says
- » Kosovo Ready for Council of Europe Membership Bid
- » Syrians in Turkey Continue to Return Home