Skopje will Remove Alexander the Great as a Name of their National Airport
The Macedonian government may change the name of the Skopje airport, now called "Alexander the Great", after the local elections, the German newspaper Frankfurter Algemaine Zeitung said.
The airport may be given a geographical name or the name of Mother Teresa, predicts the newspaper, which commented on the dispute between Skopje and Athens about the name of Bulgaria's southwest neighbor. Athens considers the name of the airport and other similar names from antiquity provocative.
Macedonian Foreign Minister Nikola Dimitrov told the newspaper that the antiquity policy of the previous government would not continue and that "we do not need hundreds of monuments to feel like proud Macedonians."
Nicola Gruevski's government started in 2009 to implement the Skopje-2014 project, which completely changed the city's appearance with monuments of different ages. The aim was to highlight the majesty of Macedonian history.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Spanish Frigate Blas de Leso Sails to the Black Sea
- » Kornelia Ninova Remains as Leader of the Bulgarian Socialist Party
- » Bulgarian PM: I Do Not Believe in Zones of Influence, Bulgaria’s Sovereignty is Above Everything
- » Bulgarian President: In the Coming Years I will watch over Bulgaria Not to Deviate from the Path
- » NATO has rejected Russia's Request to Withdraw Troops from Bulgaria and Romania
- » The Netherlands will Send two F-35 Fighters to Bulgaria