Olympic Medalist Velichko Cholakov Passed Away
The weightlifter champion Velichko Cholakov has died suddenly, his relatives reported,quoted by BTV.
They explained that he fell sick after 10:00 am today, that they called a team of emergency care, who found he had a heart attack. Velichko Cholakov is an honorary citizen of Smolyan.
He was a bronze medalist from the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004 in the 105-kg category, which makes him the only Bulgarian Olympic medalist in weight-lifting in this heaviest category.
Cholakov also grapped the world champion’s title, as well as the European champion’s title in the same category.
In recent years he has been a coach of young weightlifters in the city. In 2016 he was named Coach of the Year, and his athlete Zlatomir Kovachev for Sportsman of the Year.
GERB MP Daniela Daritkova and the Mayor of Smolyan Nikolay Melemb expressed condolences to the relatives of Facebook.
- » 'The Real Super Mario' Dies Aged 84
- » Dimitar Petrov, the Director of Beloved Bulgarian Films has Passed Away
- » Charles Aznavour, French Singing Star, Dies at 94
- » Burt Reynolds: Hollywood Star Dies at 82
- » Former UN Chief Kofi Annan Dies at 80
- » Stephen Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Dead at 90