Italy Seized a Migrant Rescue Boat Which Participated in the Traffic of Illegal Immigrants
Italian coastguards seized a migrant rescue boat operated by a German aid group in the Mediterranean suspected of aiding illegal immigration from Libya, a prosecutor said on Wednesday, Reuters reports.
Video showed the Iuventa, which is run by Jugend Rettet, arriving at the island of Lampedusa surrounded by several coastguard vessels after it was stopped at sea before dawn.
Police inspected the ship as soon as it docked and checked the crew passports. They later took charge of the boat.
Jugend Rettet said on Twitter it had received no information about the investigation. It could not be reached for further comment.
It was the first time Italian police have seized a humanitarian boat. The move came amidst growing suspicion over the role non-governmental organizations are playing in picking up migrants off the Libya coast and bringing them to Italian ports.
Ambrogio Cartosio, chief prosecutor in the western Sicilian city of Trapani, told a news conference his investigation into Jugend Rettet was ongoing and no one had yet been charged.
"The evidence is serious," Cartosio said. "We have evidence of encounters between traffickers, who escorted illegal immigrants to the Iuventa, and members of the boat's crew."
Italian media reported the boat had two Syrians aboard who were taken to a refugee center, but that could not be immediately confirmed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Exports to Romania Increase by over 40%
- » Construction of the Bulgaria-Serbia Gas Connection will begin on February 1
- » Bulgaria: The Business Climate in Industry and Commerce is Improving
- » Bulgaria: Over 31% Jump in Electricity Production in November 2022
- » According to Deputy PM, it is Still Realistic for Bulgaria to Adopt the Euro in 2024
- » Bulgaria: Gas is Expected to be nearly 30% Cheaper in February, Heating and Electricity will Not Increase in price