Juncker says ‘Fought Hard’ to Prevent Grexit in 2015
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has said he “fought hard” in 2015 to prevent a Greek exit from the bloc’s common currency area out of fear it could unravel the euro, Ekathimerini writes.
“If the Commission had not ensured that Greece was not expelled from the eurozone in 2015, the balance would be less good,” the EU’s chief executive said in an interview with Politico published Thursday.
“At the time, I fought hard for the stability of the Eurogroup, in particular for Greece [against the wishes of German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble]. If I hadn’t done that, the eurozone would have decayed,” Juncker said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Netherlands could Lose a Frontex Leadership Position if it Blocks Bulgaria for Schengen
- » From tomorrow: Croatians will be able to Buy their first own Euro Coins
- » The Government in France has warned of possible Power Shortages
- » Series of Knife Attacks in three Brussels Neighborhoods: Two People have Died
- » Breaching EU Sanctions will soon be a 'Eurocrime'
- » Over 600 Arrests after Shootout between Migrants near the Serbia-Hungary Border