Huge Chunk of Ice Breaks off Antarctica
A giant iceberg twice the size of Luxembourg has broken off an ice shelf on the Antarctic peninsula and is now adrift in the Weddell Sea.
“It is a really major event in terms of the size of the ice tablet that we’ve got now drifting away,” said Anna Hogg, an expert in satellite observations of glaciers from the University of Leeds.
Now at the mercy of the ocean currents, the newly calved iceberg could last for decades, depending on whether it enters warmer waters or bumps into other icebergs or ice shelves. Reported by Guardian.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria will be Cloudy and Rainy, Temperatures up to 8 Degrees
- » Yellow Code for Rain and Snow in Eastern and Southern Bulgaria
- » Cloudy Weather and Snow in Bulgaria Today
- » Bulgaria: Sofia ranks 59th in Air Pollution
- » Bulgaria: Cold and Cloudy Weather in the Weekend
- » Strong Wind in 14 Regions in Bulgaria – Cold Weather Expected