TOMASSON BOOSTS DENMARK`S WORLD CUP CHANCES
Denmark beat Bulgaria 2-0 here on Wednesday thanks to two goals by Jon Dahl Tomasson to relaunch their bid for a World Cup finals place in South Korea and Japan next year. On a night when Bulgaria could have earned their berth had results gone their way, it was Tomasson who grabbed the limelight with goals in the 46th and 90 minutes.
Denmark now lead European zone Group Three with 19 points from Czech Republic and Bulgaria, who both have 17, with one round of matches to play. Denmark host Iceland in their last fixture on October 6 and have a great chance to earn the win which would earn top spot and automatic qualification. The visitors were on the whole more aggressive than Bulgaria, keen to take the intiative from the start. They also seemed happier in the difficult conditions, heavy rain making the pitch slippery. Danish striker Stig Tofting had several chances but his side had to wait till the second half to earn their first score.
Tomasson scored from an acute angle to take advantage of an error by Bulgarian defender Ivailo Petkov. His shot got past keeper Zdravko Zdravkov who lost his footing on the treacherous surface. In the final minute, Bulgaria`s Martin Petrov found himself on his own in front of the Danish goal but managed to send the ball over the bar. Moments later, Tomasson made sure of victory by shooting into an empty net though the Bulgarians protested for offside.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » How New Technologies Help Sport Fans Around the World
- » Bulgaria: Stadiums Open to the Public in Compliance with Strict Measures
- » Police Officers Took Grigor Dimitrov's Driver License in Monaco
- » Sport Events in Bulgaria Without Audience Until August 31
- » Alexandar Georgiev to Be Only Bulgarian-Born Player in Revised NHL Playoffs
- » Online Casinos: Top Reasons Why Casinos Are The Best In The UK