Bulgarians Celebrate Orthodox Easter
Millions of Orthodox Christians around the world, including in Bulgaria, are celebrating the greatest Christian holiday, Easter, the resurrection of Christ. Orthodox Christians traditionally mark Easter on a Sunday between April 04 and May 08.
Bulgarian worshippers flocked to churches Saturday night to hear the Holy Mass that celebrates the coming of Easter.
At midnight sharp, when the mass was over, as is the ritual, the believers go around the church three times, with their candles burning.
There is a belief that if you have been a good Christian, your candle will not go out no matter how strong the wind might be, because you have no sins. After all church ceremonies are over, or on the next morning Bulgarians gather around, exchange their colored eggs and carry out the ritual of cracking them.
On Easter people great each other with "Christ Is Risen" while the reply is: "He Is Indeed Risen." - See more at:
- » Bulgaria to Finish Building Fence on Romanian Border Next Week
- » India Warns of 'Extremely Grave' Crisis as Flood Toll Rises
- » Scientists Detail Full Genome of Wheat for First Time
- » Not Enough Fine Art, Music and Gym Teachers for the Upcoming School Year in Bulgaria
- » Mostly Sunny Today, with some Rain and Thunder in West Bulgaria
- » PM Borisov: Over 200 Schools Throughout Bulgaria are Undergoing Complete Renovation