Increased Migrant Pressure from Bulgaria, Macedonia on Serbia
In the last few days, there has been an increase in the migrant pressure from Bulgaria and Macedonia towards Serbia, announced the spokesperson of the Serbian Defence Ministry.
According to him, “authorities in Belgrade have registered an increase in the attempts for illegal crossing of migrants to the territory of Serbia”.
The Defence Ministry reminded that since the deployment of joint military-police units to patrol the borders with Macedonia and Bulgaria in the summer of 2016, over 20,000 migrants have been prevented from entering the country. In the same period, 132 traffickers were detained.
There are Bulgarian citizens among the detainees but most of the criminals are Serbian citizens.
With the warming up of the weather, attempts to cross the border become more frequent but Serbian forces are capable of dealing with this challenge, added the Defence Ministry.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Stoltenberg: We Look Forward to Northern Macedonia Joining NATO
- » The Early Elections in Northern Macedonia Will Be on April 12th
- » Erdogan Threatens EU to Open Borders to Refugees
- » Northern Macedonia is Expected to Receive the Green Light to Begin EU Accession Talks
- » Turkey Sells Two of Its Islands
- » Athens Blamed Ankara For the Migrant Crisis