Sofia Holding Solidarity Rally in Front of Romanian Embassy
Sofia residents staged a demonstration in front of the Romanian Embassy on Sunday to show their solidarity with Romanian protesters.
The action began at 17:00 local time (EET), after days of protests in Romania against a decree which decriminalizes abuse of office worth less than EUR 44 000.
Authorities have said they would rescind the document, adding a similar wording will be proposed in a bill and submitted to Parliament.
"What is happening in Romania is actually the result of a governmental act which suddenly managed to erase all differences in the society," Ivan Radev, a journalist who co-organizes the protest, has told the Bulgarian National Radio.
"[The government's decree] was the Romanian [version of] Who?" Radev has argued, in a reference to #WHO? - a symbol of backdoor games of politicians which led to the appointment of Delyan Peevski, a highly controversial lawmaker and media mogul, as head of the national counter-intelligence agency DANS in 2013, sparking large protests.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » All Hydro- and Thermal Power Plant in Bulgaria Activated to Compensate for Turned off Reactor of Kozloduy NPP
- » EU Leaders Agreed to Keep Borders Open, Mull New Restrictions on Travel
- » Bulgaria: Minor Incident in Kozloduy NPP, Unit 5 Temporarily Closed
- » Bulgaria’s Prime Minister: Too Early For Restaurants To Resume Work
- » Bulgaria May Have New Nuclear Reactor in Ten Years
- » Google Launches New Initiative for Eastern and Central Europe