Greek Farmers Briefly Block Crossing at Bulgaria Border
Greek farmers on Saturday night sealed off the Kulata-Promachonas border crossing at the border with Bulgaria, amid heavy police presence along key roads and at junctions, Bulgaria's public radio reports.
The protesters, who are taking strike action to reject austerity measures, used their agricultural machinery to go up and down mountainous roads and thus reached Kulata-Promachonas crossing.
Police that halted all vehicles leaving for Bulgaria via Kulata-Promachonas for nearly an hour starting 16:00 local time (EET) after farmers line up their tractors across the road.
Bulgarian truckers, who last week staged a weeks-long counter-blockade in response to Greek farmers, said they had not given up on their plans to disrupt traffic on their side.
Transport workers' unions say that if a single border crossing remains blocked, truckers will retaliate by sealing off all border points between Greece and Bulgaria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Macedonia Postpones the Debate on the "French Proposal"
- » Fight in the Macedonian Parliament (VIDEO)
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: We may Not Get a New Proposal
- » Belgrade: The Creation of the Serbian World is a Process that Cannot be Stopped
- » Former Albanian PM: The Bulgarian Veto does Not Block us, Rama is to Blame
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister Explained why Skopje Opposes the "French Proposal"