Greek Farmers Briefly Block Crossing at Bulgaria Border
Greek farmers on Saturday night sealed off the Kulata-Promachonas border crossing at the border with Bulgaria, amid heavy police presence along key roads and at junctions, Bulgaria's public radio reports.
The protesters, who are taking strike action to reject austerity measures, used their agricultural machinery to go up and down mountainous roads and thus reached Kulata-Promachonas crossing.
Police that halted all vehicles leaving for Bulgaria via Kulata-Promachonas for nearly an hour starting 16:00 local time (EET) after farmers line up their tractors across the road.
Bulgarian truckers, who last week staged a weeks-long counter-blockade in response to Greek farmers, said they had not given up on their plans to disrupt traffic on their side.
Transport workers' unions say that if a single border crossing remains blocked, truckers will retaliate by sealing off all border points between Greece and Bulgaria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Montenegro 2023: Deciding between the Past and the Future
- » The Мinimum Wage in Greece becomes 780 Еuros
- » Borrell: North Macedonia made a Commitment to Include in its Constitution Citizens of other Nationalities such as Bulgarians
- » Greece is Blocked by a Massive General Strike
- » The Croatian Government will Introduce a Fixed Price for Basic Food Products
- » 12 Injured in Collision between Passenger and Freight Trains in Romania