Trump Bans Admission of Syrian Refugees in USA
The USA will stop admitting refugees from Syria after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Protection of the nation from foreign terrorist entry into the United States.
Besides banning the admission of Syrian refugees, the document also prohibits the entry in the USA of citizens of another seven mostly-Muslim countries.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees, organisations for the defence of human rights and intellectuals criticised sharply Washington’s decision.
Trump’s executive order terminates the American programme for the admission of Syrian refugees until new vetting rules are established.
Citizens of Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen may not enter the country for a period of 120 days. The only exception will be made for diplomats from these countries.
In a joint announcement, the UN and the International Organisation for Migration called on Trump’s administration to continue granting asylum to people fleeing from war.
“The needs of refugees and migrants in the world have never been greater and the settlement programme of the USA is one of the most important in the world,” read the statement.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Israeli Siblings Freed from Hamas Captivity Shocked to Hear about Mother's Murder
- » Survey Reveals: 1 in 3 Bulgarians Embrace European Identity
- » Extraordinary Elections in Serbia 2023: Domestic and Foreign Factors Vying for Influence
- » Serbian President: Bulgarians are Resentful because We are More Popular in North Macedonia
- » Day 643 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Forces Breaking Through Defenses near Avdiivka
- » Hamas Released 11 Hostages - Israel Released 33 Prisoners