Bulgaria's Dimitrov Loses Epic Australian Open Semi-Final Against Nadal
After a five-set thriller which lasted 4 hours and 56 minutes, Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov (15th) lost the Australian Open semi-final to Spaniard Rafael Nadal (9th) –6:3 5:7 7:6(5) 6:7(4) 6:4.
Dimitrov performed excellently throughout the nerve-wrecking match but, at the end, Nadal’s physical and psychological stamina, as well as greater experience had their say and brought him a deserved victory.
Despite Dimitrov’s excellent combination of offensive and defensive tennis, Nadal broke the Bulgarian for 5:4 in the fifth, decisive set.
“It is difficult to describe my emotions after such a match. Grigor played incredibly. This was a great match. I am happy I was part of such a match,” said Nadal after the game.
This was Dimitrov’s first semi-final at the Australian Open and only his second chance to win against Nadal in a total of 9 matches played between them.
Rafael Nadal will face Swiss Roger Federer in the final on Sunday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Beloslava Krasteva is Second in the Current Ranking of the World Chess Championship
- » Mobile Betting Apps: Sports News and Tips
- » Four Bronze Medals for Bulgarian students from the Informatics Olympiad
- » Nurgyul Salimova with a Record Rating in the FIDE Rankings
- » Nurgyul Salimova: I am Proud of what I have Achieved, I Felt the Support of many Bulgarians and People from all over the World
- » After 30 years: Bulgaria Won again the Team World Title in Rhythmic Gymnastics